Game Vision Statement

Projects: Vision Statement

vision idea/design document 

  A vision idea/design document is created to present a plan that you have for your game. In this document, I will be expressing my idea of the game.


I have decided that I am very interested in the game that would be called “Shooting stars”. I had game ideas like "shoot the starfish", shoot rings onto a big starfish, or shooting bubbles but I like the sound of shooting stars. The name "shooting stars" reminds me of the night, calmness, and overall peace. This game is all about relaxing your mind and destressing but also could be a challenge.The game genre is shooting.


 The gameplay starts of with a beautiful dark night sky, some relaxing music playing in the background, and possibly some sound effects of shooting stars like some “SWOOSH” sounds or any other sounds that "shooting stars" could make. At the bottom of the screen, there is a shooter or a shooting station. The shooting station would have some sort of object located, maybe a telescope since it is the stars that we are shooting at. I had an idea that at the bottom there could be something like a paint gun but in my opinion, a telescope could fit better with the whole game concept. The telescope has a clear tube that we can see at the bottom of the screen with coloured balls inside of it and those coloured balls have a mission. The mission of the balls is to shoot the stars that are the same colour of the coloured balls. Once a ball with a colour comes along you have many shooting stars passing by with all kinds of colours and you need to look at your shooting station or the telescope (possibly) and see which colour is next and get the star with the same colour. When the star has been hit with the same colour it explodes and you continue playing the game. There can be a leaderboard with the score but also there can just be a score located on the top of the screen. Once you hit a different colour by accident then you die and game over (sad music playing). I would like to add some obstacles like some things shooting by and possibly distracting you from hitting the shooting star and adding levels of some sorts so if you hit a certain amount of stars the shooting stars would pass faster so it would be harder for you to hit it. There are sound effects of the bubble being shot and maybe some interesting effects to add on. When the screen says game over you get to restart and continue building up your score and beat the previous score and challenge your friends. 


I found this interesting link to a game that is shooting that is created in Unity. https://www.mongodb.com/developer/how-to/building-space-shooter-game-syncs-unity-mongodb-realm/ . There is a score at the top on that game too and I think it has a great look to it. This game looks very advanced but I would love to be able to create something similar to this.  


In an article by Ryan Rigney, he explains that “shooters are particularly good at scratching a lot of psychological itches” (Rigney, 2012) meaning they are the ones in control of the game and no one else, this makes shooting games one of the best genres to choose from. Shooting games are addicting and I can relate to that myself because I enjoyed playing “Bubble Shooter” and “Bubble Mania” in my spare time and when I was bored. “Game genres may be growing in popularity on smartphones, PlayStation and other platforms but shooters are number one” (Rigney, 2012). Shooting games cause a spark in the brain making you addicted to the adrenaline. The target game audience is anyone, even children who want to play a fun game that doesn’t involve many tasks or lots of reading. This game would be designed in a way that is simple for everyone to understand and start playing, it would also be designed in a fun way so you can sit at home, chill and play shooting stars.   

Shooting Stars
image created by Dawn Hudson 

This game is to enjoy some quite time and play a peaceful game that can take your mind of things. 




-Rigney, R., 2012. Why Shooting Games Make Your Brain Happy. [online] Wired. Available at: <https://www.wired.com/2012/07/shooters/> [Accessed 17 October 2021].

Comments

  1. Hey Milena, I really enjoyed reading this game statement and think the idea with the stars is a really interesting and very relaxing game to play to destress, I feel like this would be a really chill game to play and it would be really cool. You using different colour stars would be a great way to add amazing colour to this game.
    I wonder where you could take this game as you progress, could you make it multiplayer? will there be a points competition with other players? this idea holds a lot of opportunity and I'm excited to see where this game goes.
    What if this game was set in space where there was a galaxy's where you would shoot planets with the stars, this could be an opportunity to play around with different settings almost like they're different levels, in each galaxy each level could have different sound effects to the stars when you destroy them as you go along in the game. This could also be done with the starfish in the ocean and having different ocean settings for example coral reefs. I wish you the best of luck with this idea!!!
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam ! oh wow great feedback :D i love all the ideas ! you are definitely making me think more about this game idea and i am excited where this game will end up ! I hope people will enjoy playing this game :)

      Delete
  2. :)Wow , great idea to create with shooting stars, I would say with the nice layout It could be really interesting to play. I can see you are doing really well with your Unity tutorial. What if when going through levels you would change layouts of planets or surrounding areas, it could be very interesting. You can check " Les Mills" training on you tube, they do lots of fantasy trips when you cycle with them, and as you progress through your training you find yourself in different surrounding all the time. I love the idea , so i think you can find some inspiration there as well,
    so hope to play your game at the end of semester, could be great fun, although I do not really play games, but I will promise I will play yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :), Oh wow I love the idea about changing layouts of the planets . Haha thank you :) I will check them out ;D.

      Delete
  3. Hi Milena

    You made a very clear vision of your game, and I can easily imagine it! I like the idea of peaceful and calm game, because I don't really like noisy and busy video games, they make me dizzy. :) The colourful stars should look nice in the dark sky.

    You mentioned that the aim of the game will be to hit the star with the same colour of the ball, but I wonder if there will be any obstacles? Maybe satellites or other objects in orbit could make the target harder to shoot.

    I was also thinking - what if the speed of flying stars changes during the game, or if the player scores a specific number of points? They could fly much faster and make the game harder to add a little bit of more excitement?

    I wish all the best with your game and am looking forward to trying it on my phone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jurate,
      The obstacles would be stars that have no colour so if you shoot it by accident you die :)
      I really love that idea!! I was thinking about implementing something with speed but I wasnt sure if I should add it into the stars or the shooting balls but great points !

      Delete
  4. Hey Milena,

    It's been great to follow your blog over the last few weeks and see how your ideas have grown and developed. This game sounds so relaxing, and reminds me of some of auditory and visually relaxing games I used to play on my iPod back in the day. I've full confidence that you'll be able to develop something amazing here, and I can't wait to try it out!

    It would be cool if there were obstacles to try and avoid throughout the game, which will keep the player focused and concentrated while playing. I'm sure it's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kyle, Thank you :D its nice to hear. I will definately be adding some sort of obstacles just thinking what to add XD.

      Delete
  5. Hi Milena!

    I have to say this seems quite an interesting game idea! I like how you try to tie the game idea to relaxing your mind and taking away stress. There are some apps like that but I never saw a game like that where it relaxes your mind. How can you approach making this game? And what sort of soundtrack are you thinking about adding to the game? And since you mentioned you are adding obstacles, what type of obstacles are you thinking of adding in this shooting stars game? In my opinion, you can probably add some calming, gentle and soothing type sounds and music in your game which will fit great. I quite enjoyed this blog and it looks like you put in some great research and from what I read I think this can really be a great game. I wish you all the best! And good luck with the production of your project/game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a future business owner

Game Design